Sunday, May 13, 2012

Emulsion tube upper section missing

I have known for a little while now that something is wrong with my pair of carburetors.
I have been using Paul's set of carbies just to get me going.
Today I pulled Paul's carbs off my bike and did a side by side comparison to see if I could spot any differences.
I did spot a difference.
My carbs are missing the brass inset that goes on top of the emulsion tubes and sticks up into the main throttle body by about 6mm. Maybe this could be called a "needle shroud"?

As it happens, I have a fair few spare carby bits lying around, and that includes a couple of these brass emulsion tube uppers.
I will put them in and re-assemble, and hopefully the carbs will be fine.
Fingers crossed.

6:30pm
I have re-assembled everything and gone for about a 20km spin up the road.
Basically the carburation seems to have come right with the emulsion tube uppers in place.
So the bike is now basically finished and all the parts are my own.

I will need to make some tuning adjustments to get the bike running really well.
Maybe jetting and a bit of timing with an offset woodruff key?
This will happen when I get in the mood. Coming into winter, it's not ideal timing.

As it is, the bike revs out to about 11,200 rpm before it starts to sign off.
There doesn't really seem to be a strong hit around the 7,500- 8,000 rpm mark either which seems a bit odd.

So the bike is now running OK and is made up entirely of parts that are owned by myself.
I could easily do the paperwork and pay the money and have the bike road legal tomorrow.
I won't though as it is almost winter.

But basically, apart from a bunch of minor stuff that may never get completed,.. the bike is finally completed.
2 years, 11 months and 8 days. Let's call it 3 years.

However, the bike may be completed, but the "project" is not.
I still need to play around with the ignition advance and the jetting and get a dyno run graph posted up.

No comments:

Post a Comment