Sunday, May 20, 2012

Wet Weight of 155kg. Speedo accuracy. 32,000kms

I took a set of scales up to Dave's today to do a full wet weight comparison between his MC18 R5k and my MC18 R6k.

First of all let me define "Full Wet Weight" for a road legal MC18:
1) Full radiator
2) Radiator overflow tank full up to the "Upper" mark
3) Gearbox oil full up to the dipstick
4) Correct amount of oil in the front shocks
5) Full two stroke oil tank
6) Full petrol tank when on the side stand
7) Full brake fluids (negligible)
8) New-ish tyres
9) No tool box under the pillion seat
10) All road legal gear: Rego plate etc. All lights. Horn. Rear view mirrors, and pillion pegs.
11) At least 3mm of wear left on all brake pads
12) All brake discs within wear limits
13) Standard battery. Not a lightweight Lithium-Iron-Phosphate or similar.
14) Kick start and side stand on bike.
Full Wet Weigh-in. R5k vs R6k

Dave's R5k is pretty much bog standard except he has MC21 crankcases and crankshaft which are probably very similar in weight to MC18 R5k.
My R6k has:
Supposedly lighter Chinese ABS fairings
Lighter mufflers that I measured to be 1.5kg lighter than my standard mufflers
Lighter MagTek rims front and rear
Dry clutch
SP front and rear suspension.

It must be noted that despite having a dry clutch and MagTek rims, the SP has more complex front fork internals and a remote reservoir on the rear shock.
The overall result is that a standard R6k is approx 1kg heavier than an R5k according to Honda.

Front Rear Total (R5k from manufacturer)
73kg 76kg 149kg
Front Rear Total  (R6k from manufacturer)
74kg 76kg 150kg

For Dave's R5k we measured:
Front    Rear      Total
79.5kg  77.9kg  157.4kg (8.4kg heavier than Honda's spec)

For my R6k we measured:
Front    Rear      Total
78.9kg 75.9kg 154.8kg (4.8kg heavier than Honda's spec)

That makes my R6k 2.6kg lighter than Dave's R5k.

So, lets add 1.5kg to my R6k weight to allow for standard mufflers.
Then in order for my R6k to be the standard 1kg heavier than Dave's R5k, this would imply that my fairings must be approx 2.1kg lighter than the standard fairings. This sounds about right to me.

The error in the two sets of bathroom scales that we used is probably less than +/- 1kg each.

I would still like to know:
.The actual, real, measured weight difference between my Chinese ABS fairings and standard fairings
.The actual real, measured weight difference between standard wheels and MagTek wheels.


How accurate is the NSR250 speedo?
Well, I find that in 5th gear at 10,000rpm the speedo indicates exactly 150 km/h
Now, with a rear tyre circumference of 2010mm, and standard 15/42 drive sprockets, your actual speed calculates out to be 146 km/h.
So I think that the NSR250 MC18 R5k/R6k speedo is approx 3% optimistic on standard gearing.
190km/h indicated is really about 184km/h

Today I clocked up 32,000kms on the speedo.





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the amazing facts and figures you have shown. would like to know more about it.Japanese Gearbox

    ReplyDelete