Sunday, April 29, 2012

Mufflers

Yesterday I went around to a mates place. He had a bunch of old 2-stroke mufflers.
He was able to hobble together a couple of end cans for me.
Slightly big bore, which is kinda OK by me and a little bit short I guess.
Carbon-Kevlar outers. One can has a "TYGA" emblem riveted onto it.
They weigh in at 440 grams each compared to standard cans at 1150 grams each.
That's a saving of almost 1.5 kgs.
They don't quite match up with the 3 holes on the attachment plate at the end of the stinger pipes on the standard pipes. I will slot those holes with a file tomorrow and fit the mufflers.
I have removed the muffler support brackets as these cans are so light that I hope that they can just be bolted onto the stingers and have enough support just from that.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if they end up being a bit too loud, but I guess I will find out tomorrow.

OK, it is now tomorrow, Monday, and I have fitted the new mufflers. The bike is definitely louder, but it is not as bad as I had feared. I'm pretty happy with it actually.

The old standard mufflers have an ID of approx 25mm and there are about 4 sequential sections to the inner path at slight angles to one another. 295mm long from stinger plate to end of baffle tube.
These new mufflers are just a straight through ID of 32mm. 225mm long from stinger plate to end of baffle tube.

No comments:

Post a Comment