Thursday, October 20, 2011

Setting the squish: Part 2

This morning I picked up the "NSR head to lathe adapter" ring and spacers from the machining shop. Only cost $75 which was half of what I was told it would cost. Win. In order to make it attach to the head, three of the 6 stud holes in the head were tapped M8. It worked a treat.

One point of interest that was bought to my attention by "he who must be obeyed" that I hadn't really thought about:
With the deck height on the Wossner (22.0mm) about 0.6mm less that that of the standard Honda pistons (22.6mm), this means that I am effectively raising all the ports by 0.6mm. I am actually pretty happy with this and will be interested to see how the power delivery comes on as a result. I will probably loose a slight amount of low-end/ midrange and gain a bit of top end. Time will tell. If it is a bit peaky, I can always machine a bit off the bottom of the barrels to get things back to normal I guess.

Just for the record, I am using standard 0.6mm thick base gaskets and standard 0.3mm thick head gaskets.

I am too tired to do a proper write up right now. Its been a long day in someone else's workshop.
I was up at 06:00 and it is now 23:25. Yeah, I'm gettin soft.
Here are some pics though:
Weight of piston assembly with 20mm wide RM125 small end bearing
Head adapter ring for lathe 01

Head adaptor ring for lathe 02

Head before machining


Machining close up

Machining

Squish set at 0.8mm 01

Squish set at0.8mm 02

Squish set at 0.8mm 03

Combustion volume set to 12.8ml to top of spark plug hole

Chamfer on top edge of barrel is non-optimal. probably there to ease the nikasil coating process?
An interesting Fuel vs Squish dynograph here

No comments:

Post a Comment