Friday, February 25, 2011

Bead Blasting Finished

Today I loaded up the van with Wobbly's Bead Blaster and some crankcase bits and drove the 37kms to Tims.
On the way I stopped in at Lorens "Cow Shed' and picked up his petrol driven air compressor.
I also stopped off at Bethlehem Shell station and got 5 litres of petrol for $10.
It was a bit of a mission getting the compressor into the van by myself but luckily I had my bike ramp in the van (a bit of 8"x2" wooden plank) and was able to load it up.
I got to Tim's about 12:30pm and we unloaded the compressor. Tim had been adapting a lawnmower petrol tank to fit onto the compressor, so we fitted that on and filled it up with petrol and got it fired up.

The compressor worked but had a few issues so we spent about an hour getting it to go better. In the end, we settled for turning the fuel tap on until the carby float bowl overflowed. Then turned the petrol tap off. Then pull started it and let it run until it ran out of petrol. Then do that again, ad infinitum.
Loren's compressor turned out to be quite grunty with quite a large tank capacity. This was excellent. Using Dave's little compressor meant being able to bead blast for about 15 seconds and then having to wait for about 2 minutes for the compressor to recharge the air tank. Painful. At least now I could basically continually blast away at very good pressure. Sweet!

So, the previous day, Tim had removed the last 3 bearings from my main crankcase, so it didn't take too long at continuous high pressure to bead blast the case. About 15 minutes in the hot sun.
Today was actually Battle of the Streets at Paeroa, so I should really have gone there with Clinton, but japped out to focus on the NSR engine.
After bead blasting the case, I water blasted to remove the fine grit. I then blow dried it with the air gun. Sweet. I have no photo but see Dave's MC21 case for the basic idea.



Had quite a few beers with Tim during the course of the day and also blasted Dave's MC21 main case.
Left Tims about 7:00pm. It was a bit of a 9 hour mission from leaving my place to returning home, but sometimes ya just gotta persevere! Future bead blasting missions will be MUCH simpler I am sure. Only problem is, I have pretty much finished all the bead blasting I need to do now. Typical.
Maybe one day I will get my other MC18 R6k engine going??

Also, 2 days ago I bead blasted my reed block backstops as they were quite rusty.
I also blasted the power valves: Note that one set of power valves are quite pitted on the face. Maybe that cylinder has seized in the past or summit. I bead blasted Dave's power valves today as well and they were actually much worse than my ones shown here.





2 comments:

  1. Air compressors are designed to work in the same way people use their lungs to blow a balloon or hold their breath. The air is compressed in the air tank and its volume is decreased which results in increase of its pressure and it flows in a speedy steady flow when connected with a hose. An air compressor consists of various parts and accessories. Hyundai HY140150P Professional Petrol Air Compressor comes with an impressive 14.0hp engine and a maximum pressure of 10 bar, the HY140150P is an ideal heavy duty industrial grade petrol engine air compressor which you can really rely on. With its sleek and compact design, the HY140150 will fit in perfectly in any working environment and will certainly look the part.

    Petrol air compressor

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend of mine bought a Hyundai HY140150 air compressor. It failed after approx 60 hours use.

    There obviously are "bots" in existence that scan blogs for keywords such as "air compressor" and add junk mail advertising in the comments such as the one above.

    ReplyDelete