Saturday, February 26, 2011

Bead Blast Summary

Here is a photo of all the bead blasted bits.

1) Heads
2) Barrels
3) Power valves
4) Reed block backstops
5) Main crankcase
6) Upper Crankcase
7) Right Side Case
8) Flywheel
9) Water pump cover

10) (Not shown) I also blasted the head and barrel nuts, and heads of the crankcase bolts.

I might take a look at the engine mounting bolts and just general other bits to see if they could benefit from a bead blast.
Now I need to make sure I get ALL the bearings and seals.

Note: I did not bead blast the Cassette Gearbox Plate, clutch basket or oil pump as they are either clean, not seen or both. I did not want to bead blast the oil pump as I did not like the idea of filling it with grinding paste.


Bead blasting seems to do a pretty good job on the alloy as long as you use quite fine grade glass beads. However, it is a bit of a pain because you are forced to remove all bearings and seals. Any bearings left in the cases for a bead blast will become full of fine grit and NEED replacing as they will be stuffed.

Soda blasting might be a better option due to it being much more bearing friendly. However, I have not tried this or seen it done.
In particular, it would be nice to not have to remove the two clutch actuator bearings in the main crankcase. These can be difficult to remove and only rotate through a small angle when the clutch lever is used. Therefore they probably are unlikely to ever need replacing. Even if they are 20 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment