Saturday, May 28, 2011

Crankcase volumes measured

OK , well, after a few stuff ups I finally got what I believe to be quite accurate volume readings.
I suspect that the error in the difference in volumes is less than 1ml. Seriously!
The error in the absolute value of the readings is possibly out by more than this.
This is because I did not check the volumetric accuracy of the measurement marks on the larger container.
The biggest hassle was sealing off the reed block. In the end I just squirted heaps of silicone liquid gasket into the back of the red block, after using masking tape to hold the reeds shut.

Top Left Volume: 605.5 ml
Bottom Right Volume: 593 ml.

Note that these measurements were taken AFTER I had ported the Top Left crankcase volume.
So now I am going to attach a piece of 5mm thick aluminium plate to the left most reed block wall on the crankcase to fill in a volume of approx 12.5 ml.

Somehow I can't help but think that this then makes the crankcases conform to how the Honda engineers originally intended them to be. I think production restrictions for the crankcase castings meant that they could not cost effectively achieve this desired optimum.

No comments:

Post a Comment