Friday, May 27, 2011

Crankcase Volume Measurement - First Pour

Last night I sealed off the exhaust port against the piston with Blu-tak.
Then I began to pour oil into the crankcase through the hole in the piston with the piston at TDC.
I started off with 300 ml, then added 25ml at a time via the burette that I borrowed off Wob.
After about 8 burette-fuls, I noticed oil starting to leak out in several places, but it was just a slow weep. I ended up doing 15 and a bit burette-fuls of oil to get the crankcase full up to the hole in the piston.

So this was a bit of a disaster due to the leakage. I will have to pull it apart and seal it up properly for another run.
However, at least I now have a good starting volume to work with.

Basically, it took 613 mls with about 50ml of leakage.
I checked these figures with the volume of oil that I ended up pouring out of the crankcase.
613ml - 50ml = 563ml
I poured 560ml out of the crankcase.

So lets say as a rough guide that the crankcase volume holds (560ml - 125cc) = 435mls.
This gives a primary compression ratio of 560/435 = 1.29. (OK this is a bit basic, but forgive me)
According to Wob, this is at the top of the "normal" range of 1.2 to 1.3.
Not too sure what "normal" is referring to here, but I guess he means normal for a road racing engine with this sort of bore/stroke ratio??

Anyway, I'll seal it all off properly and bolt it up and do it all again on both cylinders/volumes and hopefully get a good handle on things.

Oh, no pictures of pouring from burette as that would require 3 hands.






1 comment: