Tuesday, September 16, 2014

F3 PGM-II ??

Here is a link to a NSR250 Forum.

I recently got hold of what is supposed to be an F3 PGM-II.

So I took the plastic cover off 3 different PGM-II's and took a photo:
One of these things is NOT like the others

OK, so the codes on the back are like this:
Top: CI550C 8.N 241
Mid: CI580A 8.D 271
Low: CI580A 9.1 201

The photo below is of the supposedly F3 PGM-II

I have no idea if this is just a different revision circuit board or actually something more significant?
Possibly it is the PGM2 off a Honda RS250?
.
 Also, I got two 12mm wide collars made to space out the header pipe. Cost $40.

So I will be heading back to the dyno soon.
Hopefully the pipes will still fit on with the 12mm spacer.

One day later:
I fitted up the pipes with the 12mm spacers.
The pipe that exits on the RH side fitted OK. In fact it actually fitted a bit better than without the spacer as that pipe no longer hits against the RH Bottom head studs.
The Pipe that exits out the LH side of the bike was not such a good fit as I could not quite get the bolt hole at the bottom of the frame to line up with the pipe mounting point. (about 3-4mm of misalignment) But for now I have just put an M4 bolt through and attached the muffler clamps.
The muffler clamps do not do up tight onto the mufflers, so I will need to get a strip of packing rubber to make it tight.

I attached the PGM2 of unknown origin and tried to start the bike.
The bike usually starts REALLY easily. Sometimes I have started it from cold just cranking the kick start over with my hand.
After about 10 solid kicks the bike did not start and gave 2 large backfires out of the RH muffler. So I am thinking that the firing order is incorrect for my bike. I wonder if the firing order or pick-up locations on the RS250 is different to that of the NSR250R?


4 comments:

  1. Hi Tuck, I hope everything is fine.
    I will try to get things straight but I'm talking from memory so be easy on me...

    The CI550C unit is a late model Rs250 NX5 PGM. I remember that every pin is correct and should fit a Nsr250 wiring loom but there is an issue though. The engine on NX5 models have the cylinders reversed and this might explain your backfiring issues.

    The CI580A units are stock for Nsr250 Mc18 Mk2 models. The rest of the markings are just production numbers and I have no idea what they mean except that I don't think the ignition curve ever changed.

    I beleive the F3 PGM unit should have exactly the same number as your stock PGM and only the last letter changes with a "C" marking. E.g a F3 Pgm should have something like CI580C.

    Check the below link on my blog to see how a Nsr250 F3 PGM should look like :
    http://www.twostrokeracelab.com/2013/02/f3-pgmii-unit.html

    Best regards
    Nick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small update as the domain is now changed to 2t-racelab.com
      So the link now is :
      http://www.2t-racelab.com/2013/02/f3-pgmii-unit.html

      Delete
  2. Hey Tuck if you could show the set up you used to press apart the crank I would appreciated. OH nice dyno run cant wait to get mine running.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tuck, can you mail me please, I want to have a chat regarding getting a 250 stroker class back into the mix for the AMCC series.
    Chris at wandering_starr@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete