Saturday, January 14, 2012

Mis-firing problem solved

The mis-firing problem has been found. (but other problems remain)
The Woodruff key locating the flywheel had completely sheared.
Hence the timing was out on both cylinders.
It looks as though I probably did not do up the flywheel bolt tight enough?
Number  "4)"  in the previous post says that I checked the flywheel was located properly. All I did was look to see if I could see the Woodruff key. I didn't actually remove the flywheel. However, if the Woodruff key shears, then all looks OK until the flywheel comes off.

I took the bike around to Wob's to let him hear it run and see what he thought.
After thinking about it for a while, wondering what could make it mis-fire on both cylinders, it seemed likely that the flywheel was not located properly, and upon inspection, it surely was not.

We cleaned off the faces of the Morse taper with Brakleen and put the flywheel back on with a new Woodruff key.
This time I used 3 dollops of lock-tite and did it up nice and tight.
I am used to flywheel bolts having a spring washer, but my setup at least, does not have a spring washer.

Anyway it fired up and ran quite good for about 10 seconds and then dropped onto one cylinder, then stopped.
I got it going with a push start down the hill, and it ran really well, but would keep dropping onto one or zero cylinders, especially at low revs.
I inadvertently pulled a few wheelies in first gear as both cylinders fired up all of a sudden at high-ish revs. Kind of fun.
I will look at it again on another day.

At least I finally got to ride the bike today. It was quite a good feeling. And for those brief moments when it was firing on both cylinders it really did seem to be quite powerful.
Today's session was far from the ideal running in procedure, but I seem to have gotten away with it for now.

Also, we looked at the wires going into the PGM as whoever did the wire splice had made a bit of a mess. One female connector pin in particular was the wrong type and did not click into place properly on the wiring loom plug. I really need to fix these connections properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment