Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Attempt at polishing fork legs

I have previously bead blasted my fork legs and was wanting to take them to a metal polisher to get them looking a bit better. There is only one good metal polisher around Tauranga, where I live. I have rung him and left a message, and visited his shop only to find it not open. So I went to my local hardware store and bought a polishing wheel and compound.(NZ$34.00)

One leg bead blasted and buffed up, the other  just bead blasted.
I did this just on dusk and it looked pretty good. However, in the light of day there was a sight mottling or unevenness to the polished surface. The finish was not a high polish, and actually was about right compared to factory as the fork legs do not come standard with a high polish.
Paul sent me a photo (below) of a fork leg that was vapour blasted and then "grained" using a Scotch Brite on a drill as a flapper wheel. Some dude in the UK on PhotoBucket called "pgperformance67" is all the detail I can get.
 This looks not too bad so I might give that a go. It is tricky to get the legs looking nice but not too polished, like they are when new.

No comments:

Post a Comment