Thursday, June 17, 2010

Various things happening

SP engine via Ok!Shon is a hopeless case.
Motor with Ok!Shon Japan has not been able to be picked up.
I organised for a courier company in Osaka to contact Ok!Shon directly with the hope of going to the Ok!Shon warehouse and picking up the motor. However, the courier company tried to do this and failed saying that they had never come across anything like it before. Somehow, the people at Ok!Shon just could not co-operate with the courier company and make things happen. What is going on here?! Seems really REALLY weird. Anyway, I am now giving up hope of ever seeing that motor (and NZD$1100) ever again. Nasty. Moral of the story: if a packaged object weighs over 30kg, do not buy it via Ok!Shon. In my case it probably weighs about 34kg.

Fairings and tank sorted.
An advert on ebay US for MC21 fairings made from ABS plastic and painted up to original spec was spotted by Paul and I followed it up. ebay member name parts4bike
A complete set of MC18 R6K bodywork for US$248 (+ freight of US$225) was do-able. This is the Silver/white/green bodywork with the Terra Racing logo. I emailed Brandon Wu about this and he said he would paint up my blue/white tank as well (for free) if I couriered it to Hong Kong.
I sent my tank to Hong Kong (NZ$89) and paid an extra US$80 to get the tank sent back to NZ. A total of US$555 (NZ$890) and NZ$89 gives a total of NZ$979 for a complete set of new plastic bodywork and matching paint job on tank.
I sent the tank air freight on Monday 14 June 2010. The post office teller told me that it should arrive in Hong Kong between 11 and 25 working days from then.
Brandon Wu is going to wait until the tank arrives before beginning work on painting the fairings. This is to make sure that the paint job on tank and plastics are a perfect match. I have already paid in full, so I hope his eBay rating of 736 (with 100% positive feedback) means that I will be happy with the final outcome.

Crankshaft Seals and Big End Bearings
Dave Spin had ordered a set of the 3 crankshaft seals from RGV Spares in Australia for me.
I now have them. Cost NZ$80.38
Wobbly is ordering 4 big end bearings from Wiseco for Dave Spin and I. Not sure on cost yet.
When these arrive, Dave Spin and I will have a complete set of crank rebuild parts:
Main Bearings x 3
Bearing seals x3
Thrust washers: Large x 2, Small x 2
Big end bearings x 2


1 barrel and 2 heads from Paul.
Paul has been purchasing a lot of things NSR related fron Ok!Shon japan and on Tuesday 15th June 2010 I met up with him (and Dave Spin) at Bayfair shopping centre in Mt. Maunganui.
Paul had a spare "B" sized barrel and 2 heads that he gave to me. So now I need to get one more B sized barrel.

Suspension arrived.
At the same meeting, at Bayfair, Paul gave me my SP Rear shock that has been reconditioned by Goudenz Gissler. This looked to be in fairly good condition all round. Paul had cleaned it up.
Paul also dropped off my SP front forks that I got from Ok!Shon. These had also been cleaned up by Paul. This was a complete assembly of things:
Front forks
Both triple clamps
Steering damper and fork mount
Front mudguard
Steering head shaft and bearings
Front Axle

All seemed to be in fairly good condition. There is a 4cm long crack in the mudguard around the LH mounting bolts that is not too noticeable.

Engine tools
Paul also dropped off a flywheel puller and a clutch basket holding tool so I can pull the crankshaft out of my $300 SP engine.

Crankshaft
Paul, Dave Spin, and I, all have an MC18 crankshaft each. We will soon press them all apart and see if we can make 1 or 2 good crankshafts out of the 3 cranks. Paul has already had his crank pressed apart at Wobbly's and found Brinelling on the crank pins (journals). An annoying thing about the NSR crank is that the pins are an integral part of a web (counterweight). So you can't just press out the pins and machine up new ones to press back in. You have to find a set of good "pin/web" combinations to press back together to make a good crank. You could try other options, but I will not go into that as it is not what I want to do.

Summary
So, I need to find 1 more good barrel. The current good one I have is a "B" size barrel.
I need to get a set of good pistons and rings to match the B size barrel.
I need to physically get the big end bearings and bodywork.
I need to get a good set of crankshaft web/journal components to press together to make a good crank.
After that it is just a lot of cleaning/labour to assemble it all.

Additional
Also I recently acquired some glass beads from Regal Automotive to try out in Wobbly's sand blaster up at Dave Spin's. Then I can clean up my barrels/heads/cases to look like new.
I also want to do something(?) to the bottom fork legs to make then look newish. They currently look a bit oxidised. Nothing major, but it just looks crap.
There are also (almost certainly) a lot of smaller little issues that I am currently unaware of that will crop up as I go about the disassembly/reassembly process.




No comments:

Post a Comment