Saturday, April 3, 2010

Paul picked up Engine and Rear Shock



Yesterday, being Easter Friday, 2nd April 2010, Paul picked up the NZD$300 engine and the SP rear shock from Auckland's North Shore. He had a bit of a play around with them when he got them back home. He also picked up various other bits for Dave and himself.





Unfortunately, there were signs of corrosion inside the cylinders and primary combustion area. I am hoping that this is not too bad. It would be nice if the crankshaft and the good barrel were salvageable. Time will tell.




Paul did a good job cleaning the shock and also tidied up the engine a fair bit. I will get the shock sent to Goudenz Gisler at Gisler Moto Technic in Tuakau to get it re-gassed for about NZD$80 I hope.

Maybe I might try to go in with some mates and buy a bead blaster that we can all share. Bead blasting the external surfaces of the crankcases, barrels, heads, etc really makes the engine look like new.

3 comments:

  1. Hello from Greece and congrats for deciding to restore such an awesome bike.


    I am doing the very same thing also. Don't hesitate to ask for anything.


    Some advice/notes that spring to mind

    Give a try to soda blasting, before you go to beads. Less harmful to the metal and equaly efficient.


    Check for cracks on part 19215-KV3-770 (plastic gear that drives the water pump) as it has the nasty habbit of exploding at high rpm.



    A question.

    Are you going to paint the bike with the silver/white Terra theme? I am having real trouble finding decals my self, for that scheme. If you have anything on this matter please, get back to me.



    Later

    John


    (Sorry for the bad english)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice.
    I have been monitoring the Japanese auction site OK!Shon (Yahoo! Japan) Click here for original Terra fairings, but have only seen them once and didn't bother to bid. Painting the fairings will be the last thing I do and is probably at least a year away, so I am not totally sure what I am going to do about the livery on the fairings. It would be nice to get the Silver/White theme.:-) I cannot help you at the moment, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No worries. I m talking with a graphic designer at the moment, about replicating the decals. I ll let you know how it goes.

    When they come up once in a while, prices are over the top. I saw an OEM Terra side decal closing for 200$ once...


    Have fun



    John

    ReplyDelete